Foreign Exchange


Current USD/JPY exchange rate




Stocks


Today's Nikkei 225







Save up to 60% on Dental Care - Click to Find your Plan











From the Jewish Telegraphic Agency

White supremacists committed more than half of extremist-related killings in US in 2017, report says

(JTA) — Murders committed by white supremacists in the United States more than doubled in 2017 over the previous year, and they were responsible for 18 of the total 34 extremist-related killings in the country, according to a new Anti-Defamation League report.

Nine of the deaths were linked to Islamic extremists, the report says.

The report, “Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2017,” was released Wednesday by the ADL’s Center of Extremism. According to the numbers, 2017 was the fifth deadliest year on record for extremist violence since 1970.

The single deadliest incident in 2017 was the New York City bike path vehicular homicide attack, which killed eight and was committed by an Islamic extremist.


Click here for the full story


From PressTV

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34AM
US military vehicles drive in the Syrian town of Darbasiya next to the Turkish border, April 28, 2017. (Photo by Reuters)
US military vehicles drive in the Syrian town of Darbasiya next to the Turkish border, April 28, 2017. (Photo by Reuters)

Damascus says it is determined to end US military presence after Washington declared plans to build a 30,000-member "border force" in the Arab country that Russia says could lead to Syria’s partition.

Syria’s Foreign Ministry on Monday slammed the plan as a "blatant assault" on its sovereignty.

State television cited an official source in the ministry as saying that the Syrian army is resolved to end any form of US presence in the country.

The US, purportedly fighting the Daesh terrorist group, is planning to build the so-called "Border Security Force" on the Syrian territory held by the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) which is dominated by Kurdish militants.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Washington’s decision to form a zone held by US-backed militants could lead to the division of the Arab country.

"The announcement that this zone will be controlled by the US-backed groups - by the force up to 30,000 people - this is a very serious issue, which causes concerns that a course was set for the partition of Syria," Lavrov said at an annual news conference.


Click here for the full story


From PressTV

Sun Jan 14, 2018 07:10PM
The photo, taken on April 25, 2017, shows a US officer from the coalition led by Washington speaking with a fighter from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) near the northeastern Syrian Kurdish town of Derik, known as al-Malikiyah in Arabic. (Photo by AFP)
The photo, taken on April 25, 2017, shows a US officer from the coalition led by Washington speaking with a fighter from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) near the northeastern Syrian Kurdish town of Derik, known as al-Malikiyah in Arabic. (Photo by AFP)

The so-called military coalition led by the United States in Syria is reportedly planning to set up a new large border force of up to 30,000 personnel with the aid of its militia allies in war-torn country, a move that will further infuriate Turkey, a NATO ally that is already angry over Washington’s strong support for Kurdish-dominated forces in the Arab country.

A top Turkish official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters on Sunday that the main reason behind summoning Philip Kosnett, the American charge d‘affaires in Ankara, last week was in fact Washington’s training of the new “Border Security Force” (BSF) within Syria, a move that was denounced by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s spokesman, who called it "worrying."

The force, whose inaugural class is presently being trained, would be dispatched to the borders of the area controlled by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which is an alliance of militias in northern and eastern Syria largely dominated by the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).

Ankara views the YPG as the Syrian branch of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has been fighting for an autonomous region inside Turkey since 1984.

The United States' military support for the militia first began under the administration of US President Donald Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, which provided the SDF with weapons and training.

Earlier this week, President Erdogan once again said his country was to continue its military operation in northern Syria to keep Kurdish militants away from Turkish borders.


Click here for the full story


From the Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Berlin court says calling politician a Holocaust denier is protected speech

(JTA) — A Berlin district court ruled that is permissible to call right-wing German politician Wolfgang Gedeon a Holocaust denier, saying it was a matter of opinion that is protected by the constitution.

Gedeon, who represents the right-populist party Alternative for Germany in the state parliament of Baden-Württemberg, had filed an injunction last spring to prevent Josef Schuster, head of Germany’s Jewish umbrella organization, from referring to him as a Holocaust denier.

Schuster had done so publicly in early 2016, noting in various German media that Gedeon had “trivialized and relativized the dimensions, historical significance and classification of the Holocaust.”

Holocaust denial, trivialization and relativization are illegal in Germany.


Click here for the full story


From PressTV

Mon Jan 15, 2018 05:07PM
The file photo purportedly shows Palestinian Ahmed Saleem, who lost his life after Israeli troops shot him in the head in the occupied West Bank, on January 15, 2018.
The file photo purportedly shows Palestinian Ahmed Saleem, who lost his life after Israeli troops shot him in the head in the occupied West Bank, on January 15, 2018.

Israeli troops have mortally injured a young Palestinian man in the head in the occupied West Bank during clashes in protest at US President Donald Trump's controversial recognition of Jerusalem al-Quds as the “capital” of Israel.

Ahmed Saleem was shot in the head in Jayyus village near the city of Qalqilyah, close to the so-called separation line between Israeli-held territories and the occupied West Bank on Monday, said Palestine’s health ministry in a statement, as a number of Palestinian outlets said the young man was in his mid-20s.

Saleem was the 17th Palestinian to be killed by Israeli troopers since Trump's highly provocative declaration of Jerusalem al-Quds as Israel’s capital on December 6, deteriorating the already tense situation in occupied territories. Some 3,000 other Palestinians have also sustained injuries during protests that have ensued the announcement.

On Thursday, Israeli soldiers separately shot dead two Palestinian teenage boys in the central part of the besieged Gaza Strip and the West Bank during clashes in anti-Trump demonstrations.

The entire Jerusalem al-Quds is currently under Israel’s control, while the regime also claims the city’s eastern part, which hosts the third holiest Muslim site. The city has been designated as “occupied” under international law since the 1967 Arab War, which Palestinians want as the capital of their future state.

Palestinians condemned the decision, asserting that the US has no credibility as a Middle East peace broker. The dramatic shift in Washington’s policy vis-à-vis the city triggered demonstrations in the occupied Palestinian territories, Iran, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Algeria, Iraq, Morocco and other Muslim countries.


Click here for the full story


Click here for the full story